The Utilization Management Committee (UMC) is a standing operational unit reporting to BC’s Agency for Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (Agency).
The UMC’s purpose is to:
- Support the overarching goals of the Ministry of Health, Board and Agency to provide clinical laboratory patient services and ensure that clinical laboratory resources are deployed efficiently and where they are most needed for the best patient care possible.
- Develop and implement a formal framework to identify and promote appropriate utilization and make recommendations for appropriate use of all publicly funded clinical laboratory tests.
- Identify and recommend high value utilization management initiatives that have the greatest impact clinically, financially and operationally resulting in optimization of clinical laboratory medicine.
- Monitor, review, and evaluate the appropriateness and necessity of clinical laboratory test utilization.
- Review clinical guidelines and changes to clinical testing and assess the impact to laboratory services utilization.
- Ensure evidence based laboratory test utilization review and adjudication processes.